Day 1 of my first quilt show...possibly I saw some of you...I'd be hard to miss as the only guy in Angela Walters' 1pm class and Judy Woodworth's 4pm class! This has been a great learning experience for me so far, I am so happy I signed up!

3 classes tomorrow plus the vendor's market is open...looking forward to learning more...how come I know all of this will be harder than the instructors make it look :)

When I came home from my first show at MQX East, I couldn't remember much from most of my classes.  I even used colored pencils in Kim Brunners class so I would remember each step.  But I forgot to mark the sequence so nothing made sense to me.  I also took some classes that were way over my head.  The best ones I took were from DeLoa Jones.  As a newbie her ideas work and are easy to put on quilts.  Now that I'm a little better, it's a lot easier when I take a class.  It's all a learning curve.  You'll have to post which ideas you liked the best.

I took a broad variety of classes. Angela Walters (Quilting Negative space), Judy Woodworth (All over free motion quilting), Cathyy Wiggins (Quilting for Art Quilts...the quilting on leather was pretty amazing...no room for error!), and Kim Stotsenberg (Angles, hooks and wings...variations of feathers). All of the classes were good...I probably got the most useable (at my level) information from seeing the various styles and learning that there is no "one way" to do things. All have taken the basic concepts and modified them to what works for them (not too different from my professional career). I had to miss Claudia Pfeil's class to get my DW to an important award ceremony...maybe next time! 

I also spent some time looking at the vendors sale area...but came away with mostly some thread and pre-wound bobbins from various manufacturers so I can try the things out and see what works for me. Lots of goodies to see though!  It was also interesting to hear what products work best for each individual...again confirmation that there is more than one way to do things. Most used double batting (usually one wool and one either poly or cotton/poly) for their show quilts but a single batt for "user" quilts, mostly poly or cotton poly. I picked up several samples of various batting materials and color cards for threads....all in all for a new LA quilter it was great!. 

Archived