Thread tension

I am new to your forum I have a nolting but the tenisons are probably pretty close to the same type of problems I would guess. Its my bottom tension I did a quilt last night and it was fine. I wound new bobbins today made sure they were all tight and not loose they all seem to flow nicely when set into the bobbin case. The thread on the bottom of the quilt sits up higher than it should. It's not nice and smooth sometimes a few pulled spots. The ohter thing I changed today was a new needle which I don't think has anything to do with tension. This is like the only problem I ever have I don't think its the machine I think its something I am doing. I have had this problem several times before I thought I had it all figured out and made sure that the bobbins were wound tightly and not to loose. I guess I was wrong. HELP! This makes me so frustrated. Oh and of course this would have to be a Christmas present. So no stress here !!! :(

Kim:

I work on a lot of Nolting machines. All of the machines work in the same manner.

There are several threads on this subject. Do a search on tension in this forum. Another great resource is www.sureriorthreads.com click on education or training. Lots of great information about needles, tension etc.

First did you change anything? Tension usually does not need adjustment as long as no changes have been made to your setup. Brand, weight of thread, material, batting, etc. It appears that your top tension is too loose or the bottom too tight.

Check the bobbin tension with the drop test. The bobbin should drop 5 to 6 inches when you drop the bobbin (of course hold on to the thread). Adjust the large screw (do not turn very much a one time). Once you have set you bobbin tension make adjustments with the tensioner on the top. I suggest small changes until your stitch looks right.

Tension is a tug-o-war that you want to be a draw. Hope this helps.

John I read about the link to supuerior thread and it has lots of information on it . Thank you. Very helpful and great information to know. I have a question is it true that on the tension that turning it right is tightening and turning left is loosening? It would be nice if on all machines they would put a tension with numbers instead of just zip nothing. One day we shall all over come these dumb little problems and we shall all be longarm perfectionists right? LOL! I can only hope. Thanks again.

Kim

Kim:

Kathy is correct. Righty tighty, Lefty loosey. When you turn clockwise you put more pressure on the two plates and this holds the thread tighter. If you look at the screw that the knurled knob screws on, the screw end should be just about flush with the end of the knob. This is the ballpark adjustment and should be close to the correct setting. Good Luck.

HaHa! You mentioned where to start with the basic tension setting man that was the best advice you just made my life soooo much easier. I can't thank you enough for your great advice. That was all I needed was just a good starting place. I played with it a tad after turning the tension flush with the nut and after that i was able to adjust it from that point.

I love this site. :D:D:D

Archived