Newbie with Ultimate I -- with questions

Hello to all,

My husband and I just set up my new to me Ultimate I. The machine is approximately 6 years old. It has a needle positioner, single stitch button, and a thread cutter. All of the above function fine. Now for my question, I was exploring the motor speeds from low to high. When the speed selection dial is between 3 and 4 (i.e. motor is running at a slower speed) the motor starts skipping. The motor doesn't skip at lower speeds. We didn't notice that the motor skipped at higher speeds. My husband has aligned the two pullies (motor shaft and needle drive shaft) and properly tensioned the drive belt. The optical disk on the motor shaft is riding uniformly in the optical sensor (not rubbing on optical emitter or receiver sides). Any thoughts on why the motor is skipping? Also, we are told that this machine has only been used on 65 quilts by a private individual. This machine was not used in a business.

Thanks very much for any ideas.

Judy

Hi Judy,

If the motor is "skipping" or sounds like a motor missing then check your motor brushes. They are located in the front of the motor. When the machine is running, look in to the front of the motor and see if you see big sparks, if so then that motor brush might be hung up, where you can call if needed and snap a little wire spring in there to hold the brush close to the armature or center of the motor. A very small spark is normal, but if it looks like an arc welder then that is why the motor is skipping. Hope this all makes sense. Let us know how you come out or call on Monday for help. 712-792-5943 and then the extension for service. :)

Take care,

Hi Mark:

First of all, thanks so much for responding so quickly - especially on a Saturday afternoon.

You were right. There was some intermittant arcing around the brushes. I took the front end off of the motor and slid both of the brushes back and forth in their tracks. The spring tension on each seemed reasonable so I didn't adjust either. I reassembled the motor and now it doesn't skip when the speed is ajusted. There must have been some trash or debris between one of the brushes and the armature. The machine hits a resonant frequency at which it shakes a little, but I didn't notice any problems.

One thing that I did see when I opened the control panel cover was that many of the wires were missing insulation. It didn't look like they had been arcing but they are all low voltage so they could have been. I carefully installed shrink wrap on each of the worn wires while I had the machine apart. Have you seen this on machines? I have some digital photos if you are intersted in seeing what I found.

Thanks again for your recommendation. It was spot on.

Judy.

Archived