Baptist Fans - HELP!!

Mary Beth

Okay, I am loading my little quilt and wanted to use the HF to do BFs. I think I load upside down...bottom of quilt to take up roller - right?? Then I'm thinking I should measure the top to see how many rows I should make and how "tall" my fan should be - right. I mean, I don't want to get to the top row and have a half a fan showing - is that right?? Where is Myrna!!

(My quilt is only 28" x 28" - That will be difficult I bet).

Hi Mary Beth. I just got back in town. When you are doing a BF it is hard to determine the way your fans will end up on the sides and the last row. Make your fans to suit the scale of your quilt.

However you can get pretty close as your quilt is only 28x28 just divide 28 by the size of fan you want . For instance if you are doing 4 inch fans you will do 7 rows. Get the idea, don't make me do math:o :) On a large quilt as I said in the DVD and the work book what happens on the edge and the top will happen sometimes it works out perfectly. Keep in mind if you want it to be equal on both sides get creative and do something like an arc in the middle and fan out on both sides of it. Have fun with it.

Myrna

Myrna,

Here is my attempt at Baptist Fan with the HF. Spacing was kind of messy and I got a little turned around at the end of one row - notice you can't see it in my pictures - and I think I went the wrong direction. I can't figure out why there is such a big arc in the center....but I am signed up for just about every class you are teaching in the Kansas City area this summer :) So I am sure I will find out everything I need to know there....this was fun. Can't wait to try more things.

..oh, and I may need another workbook before long. I thought I would need a good stiff drink to get me started so I brought a bottle of water into my studio and dumped it over all my directions on how to use the Hartley Fence... My workbook is haning out to dry as we speak.

post--13461897977998_thumb.jpg

Myrna,

I could not figure out how to fill in that little space. I had the circle maker in the last hole and the one that is screwed down to the table in the next to the last hole. Since I was moving to every other hole on the circle maker (I hope I am telling this correctly), then I didn't know if I was suppose to move the one that was screwed down - is that the slider? Anyway, I am also signed up for your classes at County Lane....you are going to be sick of me by the end of summer, but I am going to know my Hartley Fence on a first name basis!!

Your question about Baptist Fans caught my eye because I just finished a 22" square scrap quilt using the fans after watching Myrna's DVD on the Hartley Fence. I have the *other* circle device, but never could understand the directions for BP. After watching the DVD I finally got it! So I had this little quilt made from scraps of a larger quilt and thought "why not". I tried to use a circle size that more or less fit the size of the blocks, and I'm not sure it was the correct size to use, but I like the effect. Here's a picture:

post--13461897978422_thumb.jpg

And a close-up. You have to really be careful about your stops and starts....I had a few that weren't secure....and if I did this on a customer's quilt, I'd make sure the thread blended better than it does on this quilt. Myrna has a great tip on starts on the DVD that I didn't know about.

post--13461897978663_thumb.jpg

Barbara,

That looks great.

Yes, I know what you mean about starts and stops. Sometimes my last line of quilting or my start was not on the last arc...so there is just the slightest space. This quilt is to be sold at a craft sale for our guild, and it looks okay, but I intend to practice many more times before I put in on a "real" quilt.

Archived