Skipping stitches and breaking thread

I am in need of some advice, my machine was working fine, then I needed to raise the hopping foot to quilt a double batted area, and then it all went south. I finished the double batted area, moved my hopping foot back, and now my machine is skipping stitches and breaking the thread. I've put in a new needle, checked the small rubber wheels on the encoder. Cleaned and oiled the hook and now I'm out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura Rawlings

Hi Laura--

Unless the hopping foot is so low that it is hindering the movement of the fabric, your problem is probably a tension issue.

Do a search on tension and be ready to read for a while--lotsa info on this chat about all the things to check for. It can be lots of things from a bad cone of thread to burrs on the hook, needle, or bobbin. Good luck.

Linda Rech

Hi Laura,

Make sure that you got your foot back to where it needs to be or low enough. If the foot is still too high and not pinching the fabric right, you will get skipped stitches and thread breakage just like you are having a timing problem, but it is because of the foot. Hope you get it going ok. :)

Take care,

Archived