Does anyone else have this problem? When I am done using my machine, I move it over to the side so it is not 'over' the quilt overnight. Sometimes when I come back the next day, there is oil that has come down and runs along the thread or pools on the plate. It is minimal but noticable. I've seen a few others mention something about this. Is it normal? I check my wicks everytime I sew. The side one is always moist but the tops usually need a drop. Am I missing something?!!

Carathren,

You shouldn't see that much oil dripping down anywhere. It sounds like at some time the wicks received too much oil or they are out of position. I'd suggest that you remove the side plate on the machine on the opposite side of the tension knob. Check inside and I'm guessing you'll find lots of oily residue inside and on the bottom of the interior.

Take your time and mop up all that excess oil, wiping it off the bottom and all the parts. You can use a Q-tip to get to the tight spots.

Then, check to make sure that each wick is in its correct position. If a wick has been jostled out of alignment, each time you oil the wick it will just drip down to the bottom of the interior housing and leak out the needle bar and hopping foot openings. If you carefully rotate the fly wheel and watch inside the machine, you'll see actual oiling holes on the moving parts that rub against a specific wick as they pass by. Make sure each wick is aligned straight down so that the moving part touches the wick as it passes.

The wick on the side of the machine should lay across the flat portion of the rocker arm assembly. You'll see a small "well" on the rocker assembly top that receives the oil from the side wick. Be sure to position the cover carefully as you replace it so that the wick doesn't get bent out of position.

Continue your good oiling habits of touching a wick and looking for oily residue. If your finger is slimy, don't oil that particular wick. You'll probably be able to get by without oiling those wicks for a while, especially if they are saturated with oil aleady. Moving the machine off the quilt is always a great idea, too. And until all that excess oil is gone, be sure to frequently wipe the needle bar and hopping foot to remove residue as well.

If after these steps you still notice lots of oil, re-check the inside of the machine for the wicks' position. You shouldn't notice oil actually dripping anywhere; if it does, back off the frequency of oiling the wicks even more.

Happy Quilting!

Dawn Cavanaugh

National Director of Education

APQS

Archived