Janome Artistic Quilter SD 18”

Hey everyone I just purchased a janome artistic SD 18 and noticed it was discontinued. I’m having some trouble! My top thread keeps breaking and I would like to purchase a ruler foot. Does anyone have any info of where to get one or any info on this machine? I have checked online and there isn’t many videos about this machine.

thanks in advance

Congratulations! Is this your first quilting machine? I would like to recommend you check out Jamie Wallens' videos on setting tensions. If too tight, thread breaks happen. Also, check for burrs on your needle and thread guides. If my house is "dry" then I will use a thread lubricant on my thread. You can buy that in several places in small bottles or by the gallon! I have both. In a pinch, when I needed some and did not have any, I have even used sewing machine oil, but prefer the silicone. As to getting a ruler foot, check out stores where they sell Janome machines. Good luck!

I've noticed I will get thread breaks if I have the quilt stretched too tight on the frame.  If the thread breaks after I've advanced the quilt and changed nothing else, that seems to be the problem.  If I adjust one of the rollers or the side clamps, then the issue doesn't reoccur.  

• 3 months later...

I am having trouble with my artistic sd   My bobbin thread keeps breaking. I am not able to figure this out and wondered if anyone has suggestions that I haven’t thought of?  I quilt for about 6” and the bobbin thread binds up and breaks. 
Thank you for any help you can give me. 

15 hours ago, Cavandike said:

I am having trouble with my artistic sd   My bobbin thread keeps breaking. I am not able to figure this out and wondered if anyone has suggestions that I haven’t thought of?  I quilt for about 6” and the bobbin thread binds up and breaks. 
Thank you for any help you can give me. 

What have you already tried?  Is the bobbin inserted correctly?  I believe it should spin clockwise when looking at the bobbin after inserting it in the case.  Check the bobbin case for any fuzz or lint especially in the tension part.  APQS maintenance recommends sliding a business card under the tension arm to push out anything stuck in there.  Check the hook area for any stray threads.  We can clean this area with WD40 on APQS machines - but I don't know anything about your machine.  Does the hook assembly need oil?  Is the bobbin thread going someplace it shouldn't and then getting caught and breaking or is it just breaking?  Have you dropped the bobbin case that it might not be perfectly round anymore?  Have you tried a different bobbin - maybe it's just a bad bobbin?  Is the thread wound correctly on the bobbin - not loose or sloppy?  Usually, any issues I've had with breakage are due to operator error.  ;)