Water soluble thread

I have a customer who would like me to baste a queen size wholecloth quilt that she intends to hand quilt. My question is, would this be a good time to use a water soluble thread?

Top and Bobbin or neither? The batting is Hobbs wool. I know she will be washing the quilt when she is finished quilting because she has it marked with wash-out pens.

Thanks,

Patty

This is a great time for water soluable but with that said the hand quilter may plan to takes months or year to do this quilt. I would discuss it with your customer. It is more humid in some areas than others.

She may plan to tag it along with her to different places. Regular thread will hold up to all the enviroments better and it is more affordable for you.

I would give her the option and let her choose educating her on the differences between the two. I would charge for the water soluable thread but not the regular thread. This is just my way. I have done both. The quilting process is the same except I can quilt with smallelr stitch using Water soluable as removing it isn't an issure for the Hand Quilter.

Good luck. Let us know what your decide.

Water soluble thread needs warm water to dissolve, washout markers need cold water to disappear. If your customer chooses the water soluble thread she needs to wash it in cold water first, then in warm water.

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

Thanks, Tammie and Janet, for your input. My customer is leaving the thread choice up to me, so I think I'll stick with my usual Superior So Fine. It is a large quilt and I'd hate for the basting to not hold up for her. Good point about the washing instructions, too.

Archived