crooked quilt

Hi, I am a newbie and am begining my first paying quilt. A kingsize that is really crooked. I have unpinned and even turned it so the sides are up and down and it's still crooked. This is for a friend so I hate to return it undone. Any suggestions on how to make it beautiful? Help please!

I am a newbie too, but it seems to me that you should call your friend and let her know the quilt is "a bit crooked" and let her decide if she wants to have you just quilt it as is (knowing the final result will be crooked and she probably won't be able to block it straight before she adds the binding) or maybe she would want to take it back and square it off herself. THe bottom line is you want a happy customer (and don't want to lose a freind!) so let her make the decision.

My 2 cents.

Sara

Hi Sue

So many quilts we get are "crooked" - probably more than are square so its a good idea to get yourself into a routine when you accept tops for quilting.

It is uncomfortable for most of us to have to point out to someone that their work is not 'great' but in the end it saves you time and disappointment when the finished quilt is not as good as you would like it to be. This is the bad part of our job.

When someone drops off a top I fold it in four (if its not already folded) to see if the edges line up. If not, I lay it out on my tiled floor. (laying a top on a tiled or wooden floor helps to see if the piecing lines are straight - less intimidating than bringing out a tape measure)

If there is a problem the customer can see it there and then and you can suggest ways to remedy it. Usually the options are:

Easing fullness in if its not too bad

Putting in pleats (along piecing lines as they don't show as much there) if it won't need too many and if the fabric is patterned.

Taking off borders and cutting to the correct size

The most common reasons that the quilts I get are not square are:

Bias triangles have stretched

Borders have not been cut to size (ie. measure through the top 3 times and average that to work out the border length)

I have typed up a sheet on how to apply sashings and borders and hand this to customers who are having problems if I think they would like to know where they have gone wrong. I also discuss how to cut triangles so that the long side is not on the bias.

This does take time and has to be discussed diplomatically with the customer but it usually means that the next top you get from that quilter is made so much better.

If the top comes in the mail, I ring the customer and explain the problem, take digital photos if they have internet access and email a photo to them. I usually take a photo in any case and keep it on file. Its amazing how many piecers like to think we stretch their tops.

Hope this helps

Sue

Archived