disk or rotary tensioner

Ema

I have been having tension problems. I am also a newbie - so that helps explain a lot. I am curious would changing my tensioner help. Can I even change my tensioner?

Do I need to clean the one I have? Oil it? :o

Thanks.

Ema

Most newbies (and some seasoned folks as well) are intimidated by their tension device. JUST TURN IT! ;) The APQS tensioner works pretty well without problems.

If you don't have Carol Thelen's book on Longarm Machine Quilting, get it. She has a good illustration of tension in there, and I often refer to it even now.

In the meantime if you're having tension issues clean out your bobbin case really well. That means removing the backlash spring (blue thingy) in there and cleaning the goo. (I use a pin to scrape all the nooks and crannies). Then put the backlash spring back in. Clean all the lint and dust from your hook assembly; I know if I'm having bad tension it is usually because I have a tiny thread or some lint/dust in the hook area. You will need to bend down and look at the hook area; I usually kneel on the floor while I'm cleaning it. Take the needle plate off and get rid of the dust; don't lose the washers/spacers. Drop some oil into your hook assembly (with the bobbin case removed) and then let the machine run a bit. (I put a towel on the carraige to catch the oil). If you have some thread or goo in there running the machine will loosen it up. Then you can see it and pull it out when you shut off the machine. Keep your fingers away from the running machine.

Set your bottom tension and then work on the top. My bobbin is set to drop just a tiny little bit and stop; your machine might be different. For top tension remember: "Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey". If you're getting loops on the bottom then your top tension is too loose. Use a different colors of thread in your top and bobbin; that way you can see where your problems are and then work on them from there.

Use a forgiving thread, like Permacore poly/poly for your PPP. Once you get that dialed in and you are more comfortable with your machine you can probably run just about anything in your APQS. Some threads are fussier than others but I can run just about anything except for stuff with lots of slubs in it. No sense getting frustrated when you're starting out so using a flexible thread will save you some headaches.

Many threads shed a lot of lint and lots of fabrics will drop a dusty residue in your hook area. Cleaning and oiling makes a big difference in your tension.

PS: When you're done with your oiling run the machine. Then stitch over some scraps to GET RID OF THE OIL RESIDUE. You don't want black oily goo on your quilt. :)

HTH!

Archived