Pantograph questions

Morning. This is my first time posting a question - hope I do this correctly. I'm still a beginner and need some help. I have a customer that wants a panto in the body of the quilt and a different pattern on the border. Is this possible. Do i work on the body first (it's a crib size) and then the borders? Any tips for starting and stopping at the correct point. What do I do with all of the threads at the beginning and end of each row. Thanks for any advise!

I would do the border first, or at least SID (stitch in the ditch) around it to stabilize it, and then do the panto. The starting and stopping will have to be checked visually, as well as making some sort of mark on your panto pattern to indicate the stopping point. I would pull the bobbin thread to the top at the start and the stop, knot the tails, and bury them between the quilt layers. That makes starts/stops virtually invisible, especially if you have SID around the border.

Good luck with your project!

CK

I usually do the top border design, then panto the main area, do the bottom border, then unpin turn quilt sideways and do the sides. I put a piece of painter's tape (blue, not too sticky) on each end of my panto cover so I know where I need to start and stop the design, that way you can center the panto design between the taped off area.

I have also done some baby quilts with a panto design in the pieced area and left the border area without quilt so it was fluffier and the new moms loved them. I had 3 cousins expecting babies within 3 weeks of each other last June.

• 1 month later...

Archived