Circlelord templates

Phyllis Wright

I already have the Circlelord and love it for it's accuracy, although I do find it takes a while to use, probably because I knot and bury all my thread tails. That is how I was taught (thanks Darlene :) and that is how I prefer to do it. I have been reading all of the posts from those of you who have the Clamshell and Zig Zag templates and I am almost convinced to buy them, I can certainly see a great potential for all over designs, but I would also think they could be used for borders and sashings, however, I am wondering if anyone has used them for this, and if so, how do you finish the corners? I don't want to spoil a quilt by hashed up corners. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Phyllis.

I have used the clams on the borders. I made sure to space the clams so that two rows fit nicely inside the border. Because the quilt had a definite top and bottom I quilted the top and bottom borders from end to end. Then I turned the quilt and quilted the side borders from seam (where the top & bottom border met) to seam. It turned out great and the client was thrilled. I would have prefered to miter the design by drawing a diagonal line on the border corners and letting the two border designs meet at that point. Unfortunately, no matter how I layed out the pattern the two did not meet very well.

Another thought would be to quilt a corner design using your CL and then quilt the border design up to where the corner begins. Lots of possibilities with the CL.

Hope this helps. Happy quilting!

I just got my templates the day after Mother's Day and have already used them to make more than 20 bed size quilts. They are incredibly accurate and FAST. They look so flawless.

I am using the clam today to make borders and I decided to stop at 90' angles and make medallions on the corners to make the design flow better. Jean is correct , it would seem very tedious to try to line them up and try to sculpt them into each bend.

Reading Jena's post gave me this idea. Thanks Jean, I appreciate it. They are looking lovely.

Archived