Bobbin & Bobbin Winder Problems

I have a stand alone bobbin winder that is giving me fits. If I wind the bobbin more than half way it becomes a horrible mess. I called APQS last week and Mark told me to spread apart the thing that the bobbin goes on and if that didn't work to try tightening the tension. The tension is as tight as I can get it--it came that way from the factory. I've also spread the bobbin holder out as far as I can and still get the bobbins on and off.

I searched for a solution on this forum and found that I have tried everything that was suggested previously; i.e. spreading the bobbin holder, tightening the tension, tightening two other screws, and guiding the thread between my thumb and finger. The funny thing is that I can set the messy bobbin on top of a cone of thread and it will wind beautifully from that bobbin to another bobbin. With that in mind I tried stuffing batting inside the cone to see if it would make the cone more stable on the holder. That didn't work either. I'd really like to put more thread on a bobbin so that I don't have to change it so often.

Anyone have any more suggestions?

Bobbin problem #2

After I clean the inside of the bobbin case and put it back together it seems like the spring is always sprung. The bobbin tends to stand up just slightly above the bobbin case. Then I have problems with the bobbin thread breaking. I'm trying not to bend the spring, but it happens everytime. I've ordered some new springs. I find that I put off cleaning the bobbin case because this always happens. Any suggestions for this one?

Phyllis Hughes

I just got a stand alone bobbin winder but it does not wind the bobbin fully. It's a bit frustrating since I can't always get through a whole row of quilting before it runs out.

I don't really understand about adjusting the thing the bobbin goes on but I will see if I can figure it out today and try again.

ANyone else have this problem?

thanks

Sara

Phyllis, Make sure that the thread is between the tension disks. If you have it as tight as it will go, I'm surprised that it isn't breaking the thread. If the thread is just going aroung the outer edge of those disks, you really aren't getting propper tension and thus your bobbin getting bad part way through the winding process.

Sara,

When you engage your winder, you will see a little black finger that sticks into the under side of the bobbin when it is winding. That finger is what allows how much thread goes on the bobbin. There is a ajusting screw right on the top side of that finger. By turning it the finger will come further into the bottom of the bobbin or further to the outer edge. This is what determines how full to fill it so the winder will kick out when it is full. Check and see where that finger is and go from there.

Hope this helps!

Take care,

Mark APQS

Archived