Bottom Thread Cutter

I've been quilting on a Millennium (not mine) for a little over a year. I tried to get the hang of the bottom thread cutter but got frustrated with the results. Mainly, couldn't get the needle to pick up the thread after it had been cut. I found the thread was being cut to short or it sprung back out of the way so the needle couldn't grab it. So I quit using it and pulled the thread up everytime I stopped and cut it with scissors. But now...I'm getting my own Millennium and I'm thinking I should learn how to use the thread cutter.

So, I'm wondering what the trick is?

Curious,

Betty

I don't think there's a trick. It sounds like the thread cutter on the Millennium you were using needs a minor adjustment. You can call APQS and Mark or Connie will help you make the adjustment. When your new Millennium comes you'll probably find that there is no trick to using the thread cutter.

I like to tie off all of my thread ends, so when I come to a stopping place, I move the machine about six inches away before using the thread cutter. Then I cut the needle thread, leaving at least a 4 inch tail. I tug on this thread and the bobbin thread pops to the surface. I knot these threads together and thread them onto a sewing needle, and bury the knot in the quilt layers.

Cathy in NC

I'm excited to give it a try and have it work. Seems a shame to have a great feature and not use it. Maybe it's moving the machine to give the thread extra room before cutting. It it doesn't work I'll call Connie and see if an adjustment needs to be made.

Thanks for the info.

Betty

Hi Betty,

If you watch the thread when it is being pulled across

to get cut in between the 2 little blades, is the actual puller

arm blade ( blade that pulls it over) cutting the thread? If it is getting cut before it reaches the small blades, then it won't leave a long enough tail to pull it back up! You can take a emery cloth or sand paper and smooth the puller arm blade down, so it won't cut the thread to soon!

The puller arm blade should always be smooth and free of rough edges or burrs.. ( It is however, suppose to have a little notch in it, that is what holds the thread!)

Good Luck and let me know if I can help!!

I gave Cathy's advice a try yesterday and most of the time the thread didn't pull up with the needle after getting cut.

However, I did love using the cutter when it worked!

I'll try the adjusment when I go in next week and if I get to confused I'll give you a call Connie.

Thanks for giving me the heads up on how to fix this. It really is a great feature, I just didn't have the drive to get it working right. But now that I'm getting my own machine the drive is there. Go Figure.

Betty

Archived