Silk Batting

I'm working on a quilt in which the customer insisted on silk batting. I was finally able to get some thru my local quilt store special ordered from Quilter's Resource. I had to get two since they don't make king size. Unfortunately the source I used to know of, Richland, no longer has batting to sell.

This stuff I got looks as if it will beard constantly - no scrim, no bonding, no nuthin! Also this customer added a last wide border to make the quilt huge out of a poly-cotton blend to get the right color. The lint from the silk batt clings to it as if glued on! I have to de-lint each section before quilting it. What a pain!

Has any one had any better luck with silk batting? Does anyone make one with bonding or scrim? This stuff retails for about $90 for a queen size batt - I am not at all convinced that it is worth it!

Bobbie Moon in So. Calif.

Whenever I'm looking for a product, no matter what it is, I use a search engine, mostly Google. I just type in either the product name or a more general term/description and I get more info than I can reasonably go through. I just Googled "silk batting" and 114,00 matches came up, including an article on how to use silk batting from thesilkworks.com. It's also a good way to compare prices.

Archived