Wood Quilt

Yes, I swear this was a wooden quilt. It came from a quilt shop I am associated with. I returned it the first time because the back and batting was uneven and not large enough. Both had been hack-sawed instead of rotary cut.

Quilt came back with a 'sheet for a back' and Fairfield cardboard batting. It really felt like cardboard. Customers have used sheets before and though I don't like them I will use them.

Now, you won't believe this one. The sheet was old. I didn't realize this until I measured it (and the shop is 40 minutes away) It was worn on the edges and had a tear in the back. Must have been washed an easy 50 times. Really wanted to put on some rubber gloves. Spoke with the quilt shop owner - she asked if I could go ahead and quilt it anyway - turns out it's a friend of hers. She didn't want to refuse it a 2nd time. We're friends as well and I really didn't mind. WOW - what a mistake.

Each time the needle went in you could hear the squeak as it entered then lifted out of the quilt. Broke 2 needles. Broke thread at least twice in each row, sometimes more. What a mistake. I'll never do that again. Once I give the LQS Owners a detailed description, complete with drama, of the experience I know they'll understand - never again.

I think I need to re-time my machine. The thread is now getting tangled in the bobbin/hook area. Never done that before - another new experience.

What a day and night. Whew - glad it's over, almost.

Archived