mailing client quilts

Hi,

as I am a newbie and seem to be having cosmic forces pushing me towards accepting quilts from people by mail...what is the process, how much does it usually cost and who pays for the postage, and do I accept payment and have it clear before I actually start the quilting? that does make the most sense. but feel a little trepidation at the whole process. I would accept any feedback you may have...thanks alot...Denise

I don\'t have a large mail base, but it is a good way to increase your quilt volume. My customers pay for the quilting plus postage before it is mailed and the check clears, of course. If you send a quilt out before the check clears, you don\'t have anything in your hands for leverage. I haven\'t had any problem with my mail customers.

I am also fortunate that I have two post offices within a mile each way of me and I have to drive by one or the other if I am going some where. So I stop and get the actual cost of shipping and insurance before I mail it. Some quilters just charge a flat rate for mailing. Don\'t forget to add the cost of a box if needed in your shipping.

I do keep batting in my house. Many of my mail customers buy my batting so they don\'t pay for the weight of the batting to my house.

Good Luck,

Cheryl

I may do things a bit different than some or most so this is just my guide line not something written in stone.

I use WHATEVER is the cheapest (FedEx, UPS, USPS) for return postage....the customer pays both ways..... Cost can be as high as $50.00 per quilt depending on the weight and distance.

If its someone I do not know personally I make them send a check and it must clear before I will send the quilt, if its someone I know and TRUST, I will mail the quilt, call them with the amount and most times the quilt and check cross in the mail.... I always do the quilt without payment....I feel I have their quilt and if they don\'t pay within 30 days I get to keep their quilt. I have only had two people not pay me at all and they weren\'t worth the trouble to sue even in small claims court (hense the check clears the bank before I mail to people I don\'t know personally) and I have had only 1 person bounce several checks to me, but was able to get them to clear, local person and banked at my same bank so I could check when I ran into the bank.

As I said this is how I handle it...there are many others.

I have had people mail me quilts to do (top and backing), without including batting; and people send me quilt top, backing, batting, and binding.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that a quilted quilt takes up more box space than a top and backing sent in a small box. If the person sends you the batting and all, it can probably go back to them in the same box they sent it to you in; for the same postage.

My general rule has been that the customer will pay shipping to me and I will pay return shipping, with insurance. This has worked well for the QOV quilts that have come and gone. I did have a paying customer who paid postage to me, and included a return postage label for shipping back to her. That was nice.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Hey gals,

thanks so much for your info....takes a little of the nervousness out of this for me to know others do this and it is not that big of a deal....lots to think about with this business and this is so great to get feedback from those who have been there and done that...you are all so wonderful!!!! Hugs....Denise

Archived