threads for baby quilts

I am in baby-quilt-making -mode for a while here and would like to know which threads are preferred for these. I know the moms will want to wash them regularly, they may be put in the dryer and will surely be dragged around a bit. What do you all think?

Thanks to the APQS community.

Sylvia

:)

Hi Sylvia, when I made our grandsons quilt.. gosh, back in early 1995, I just used Coats and Clarks from Joanns.. It held the quilt until all that was left was shredds, along the seam lines, that looked more like Halloween Spider webbing than a quilt remnant. I\'ll have to check and see if I have a pict of it on the web albums.. It was really pathetic after 8 years.. I didn\'t know any better then nor did I have a clue about how to long arm quilt.. I\'d use a Signature or a Superior.. others prob. have other ideas. ;)

RitaR

I have been in the baby quilt mode for a few years now. I know the quilts I make are going to be put in the washer and the dryer on a regular basis by the new moms. It seems (and even my own daughter is guilty of this) that their "world\' seems to be very disposable, in general. Also, most are also working full time or at least part time, which cuts down on their housework/laundry time. Use it, abuse it and replace it. Kinda sad, I feel. Anyway, I decided to use the quilt shop quality fabrics, and the best thread and batting, do lots of quilting to help hold it together as much as possible, and hope for the best. I also include washing and general care instructions with each quilt...but I know they aren\'t followed by most of these young moms. My favorite threads for piecing are Signature and Masterpiece (by Superior). For quilting it I like King Tut. I also have fallen in love with Quilter\'s Dream batting.

By using the "best" that I know of, I hope to prolong the life of these adorable little quilts, and hoping they last long enough to be really loved by the wee ones they were intended for.

Archived