cutting table

Henrietta is up and running! I can't believe how much fun I'm having :P Now for all the incidentals, like a cutting table. Does anyone have a clever idea for one that will also hold batting and supplies? There's one on Donita Reeves site that is really neat, but also pricey.

Everyone has been sooo much help! Thanks. And a special thanks to Jane Ann Houser for her mini lesson while setting up Henrietta. We had a great time... I can't wait for my classes to start!!:) She runs like a dream - right out of the box!

Hi,

Make sure that your cutting table is a comfortable height for you. You can't rely on the usual here. Threads magazine had a work table article out at about the time I was designing mine. I only used the dimensions as a starting point. I'm about 5'6" and a bit; my table is 37.5" high.

I also used purchased cabinets to form the base of my table. On the right side I have three cabinets, all with drawers. The center cabinet is wider than the outer two.

On the left side I used two cabinets, each has one drawer and one door. I left the center open in case I want to be able to use a stool at the table. I haven't so far, though.

At one short end of the table I had the carpenter make a bookcase. Very useful!

The top is formica, and I like it but there is one thing I would change. The corners of the top are right angles. This is not friendly to fabric or batting that I want to slide along the top of the table. I keep looking at these corners, wondering how miserable it would be to make them gentle curves.

Have fun.

Linda/9patch

We went really inexpensive. We have two 8 ft. banquet tables and a 4 ft. table and have extended the legs with PVC pipe. With the extensions you can use them at any height = and if we do classes, the legs can come off of one or more and then we have regular tables for machine sewing.

The 4 ft. table holds a large ironing board (cover purchased and padded plywood as a base) when we need it.

Very user friendly and we have file cabinets and shelving units set up underneath in some places.

Norece. Linda and Kathy, Thanks for the particulars. Home Depot cabinets under a formica top and round those corners! I'm 5'9" so may need to boost the height a bit. But I really like the idea of extending banquet table legs! Up for working ,-down for classes :) You have been such a great help, you have no idea! If I can manage the space I think I'd like to do both!

thanks again :)

Peace

How much do you want to spend on your table? This setup is inexpensive and versatile. It is made from three 4' X 6' sections that were ripped from 4' X 8' x 3/4" melamine panels. The hardware store ripped the stock for me at no charge. The 2' cutoffs are now small portable work surfaces each measuring about 2'X 2'. These were cut at the store also. No waste with this project. The table rests on sawhorse legs. My table top is 38 1/2" from the floor. The table height is up to the individual. I cut my legs down twice before I got them at a comfortable height for myself. I designed my table so that if I'm working outside in the garage I can use all three panels. Then it is a 6' X 12' table. I didn't work outside this past warm season so the third panel rested upright in the garage along with the two 12' studs that hold the table top. I use the other two panels in my workroom. That table is 6' X 8'. Again, the two panels that comprise the top are on two studs, which in this configuration are 8' long. The panels (and scrap pieces) all have adhesive (iron on) edge treatment on all cut edges. Good surface for squaring or marking large pieces. For dyeing, the panels are great as they do not absorb dye and even adhesive can be cleaned off easily (at least all of the different adhesives I have removed from this surface came off). For rotary cutting, I place my cutting mats on the top. For ironing: a blanket, ironing pad, commercial ironing blanket or nothing (not at highest heat) is used. I machine sew on the top. I sort paperwork for tax time on it. I make moccasins on it. Under the top are a rolling 4' bookshelf, a sewing machine in a rolling cabinet/table and a full sized dresser without the mirror. Great storage in a smallish room. One night I might crawl up on the top to take a nap! The room is in its usual state of mess and my choices are to skip the picture because I don't have time to make it look neat or take the picture now. Gotta go get the camera...

Here is a link to my Webshots. The table can be seen in the last two photos on the second page. http://community.webshots.com/album/366549553UjkVEz

Peace

Ceci

I bought two 3'x6' banquet tables at Costco. They have adjustable height legs, so I have them at their highest setting and it is a very comfortable height for me. When pushed together, they make a 6'x6' cutting table. Underneath is where I store some of my supplies and I have rolling wire basket carts with drawers that hold my fabric. Then the carts are pulled out, they make extra cutting surfaces, as they have small melamine tops on which I can put a small cutting mat. I usually roll one of these over to my sewing machine table when I'm doing paper piecing, so I can trim easily.

Linda

Archived