Not quite quilty - sharks etc

Brad and Margie asked about diving in Australia. Well I live a couple of hours inland on the eastern seaboard.

I\'ve never been diving (except for a bit or snorkelling off the Great Barrier Reef many years ago). Personally I like to view my sharks through very thick glass, preferably at an aquarium.

Brad mentioned that there are a lot of Great White Sharks around these waters. I always thought they were more prevalent in the very cold waters off the southern parts of Australia.

Just got my daughter\'s favourite shark book out and discovered that I\'ve probably been swimming with them for years. Yikes!

I can hear the music from \'Jaws\' now (dada dada) - according to this book (by Ron and Valerie Taylor) much of the shark sequences from this movie were filmed in Australian waters.

Another nice snippet, after California, Australia has the second highest incidence of Great White Shark attacks!

Fortunately, my DH tells me that you are more likely to be killed driving to your dive location, than by shark attack.

Food for thought!

Happy diving Brad and Margie!

Thank you for the information!

I have a cousin who lived in Fiji many years ago and he loved the diving, but it\'s gotten pretty commercial and pricey since he\'s been gone. We\'ve been kicking around a lot of places but cost does enter in here somewhere. :(

The less we spend on the trip, the more we are left with to spend being in the water.

I really don\'t get a big thrill out of swimming with sharks, but I think your DH is accurate in his observation. Besides, we can\'t live our lives in fear, we\'ll never do anything!!

I\'m not sure your statistics are going to ease Margie\'s mind, but you do have some beautiful water...

Thanks again Judy. I\'m sure if Margie sees a shark, she\'ll get a ride to your house and spend the rest of the vacation diving into a quilt :D

Archived