Inventory/Accounting

I'm trying to keep track of my little business the best I can as I want to stay legal and in good graces with Uncle Sam.  I want to meet with an accountant but right now I'm poor!  LOL*  I did run a small accounting department for a small business years ago so I think I can do a lot on my own.

Here's my question for now - when you started your business did you inventory all of your existing thread and batting if you were going to use it for the business for tax purposes?  Do I have to show how I paid for those things that I already have?  (I have had some of this thread for YEARS).

I'm in Canada - so I'm not sure you want my advice...   BUT,  when I started my business I created an invoice for all the stuff I bought from 'myself' and that became my starting inventory.  After that I kept all receipts for purchases and added them into my business inventory.  I believe that if you are honest,  no Government is going to come looking for you.  

Thank you Caroline!  That was actually very helpful!!  I know you're in Canada but that's something very similar to what I was thinking of doing and after talking to an accounting person they told me there were a couple of ways I could do it and something like that would be one. 

I am honest to a fault, but I don't want to make any mistakes and inadvertently get myself in trouble!

Archived