quilts with old fabrics

I've been taking in quilts for the last 6 or 7 months or so and have had a fair amount of success so far. I've gone through the tension issues and stitch regulator issues that seem to be common--and occasionally run into a problem that takes a bit of time(and frogging) to resolve.

As word gets out that I exist, I've been getting some quilt tops from older customers that have lots of issues. Usually these tops are scrap quilts made with a variety of fabrics that are anywhere between 20 and 70 years old. As interesting it is to look at these fabrics, for the most part the quilts are pretty ugly and I end up suggesting pantographs for them.(I'm usually a front end quilter, but I just can't seem to get into these quilts enough to suggest anything custom!)

I feel pretty comfortable with pantographs in general, and have done several on well made quilts with newer fabrics. These scrap quilts are awful for me to quilt! Has anyone else run into this problem? I know that there must be a lot of these tops out there, and they seem to be finding me! My tension is beautiful on parts of the quilt, and not so good on other parts. The fabrics are so different, that it is very hard to reach some type of agreeable tension setting, especially with edge to edge quilting.

I do my best to fix the gross problems, but for me to be up to my usual standards, I would have to spend way too much time on these quilts--picking out stitches, requilting, etc. I've explained to these ladies that I may not be able to give them the best quality stitching with these quilts, and they seem to be OK with that, but I hate to give something back to a customer that has tension problems. I know that washing the quilts will cause some of the tension issues to "relax", but still.....

Has anyone else had this experience, and how did you handle it?

Thanks. Jill K.

Hi Jill

I've had a good share of very old quilts come in. One thing I've learned to watch for is open seams.

I find that the best way is to do an all-over design, especially something like the clamshell with my Circle Lord as this design seems to really compliment older traditional quilts. As for the other problems...stretchiness, waves galore, etc...I haven't had a single complaint ~ people really seem to be just happy to see these old orphans transformed into finished quilts. It has truly been touching to work on these because I often think of the women who pieced these quilts and how they deserve to be completed. This may sound silly but I get a content feeling as I imagine the piecer perhaps "knowing" that her work will be finally be done.

I am in the midst of 6 antique quilts for someone...one was a grandmothers flower garden that wasn't even complete so the quilt was an odd shape like one of those odd-shaped jigsaw puzzles. This woman picked up all 6 at auction. They are pretty rough!!! The worse part is the odour...real musty and very smoky!!! ugh...I quit smoking just before getting my longarm and the smell is very strong to me (did I really used to smell like that???) Even though there are challenges with these quilts, I am charmed by them.

Have a good day........Sandra

When you get alot of old quilts, my guess is that you are charging as much as everyone else in the neighborhood. I had that when I first started also. The figure they can drag out the old stuff and get them finished before your prices go up. Either that, or another quilter has refused them due to issues with the top or experience on the quilters part. Just a guess............

Hi Jill,

I get lots of old quilts, some that never got finished and some pieced recently by older quilters. As mentioned, you need to watch for open seams. You are correct not to suggest custom quilting as it probably wouldn't add much to the quilt and the quilter probably wouldn't want the price tag. You can work from the front and do an allover. If the quilt has numerous issues, I'll stick to a puzzle meander as I can deal with all the problems and not have to concentrate on the pattern. A quilt with fewer issues can take a more complex allover. These quilts look fine with a "doodling" type of quilting. As for tension, try using a batting with a medium to high loft. It helps with tension and helps to reduce and hide

some of the construction problems.

Kay

I have also done quite a few older tops and tend to do meandering designs from the front so I can ease in problem areas and see what is going on with the fabrics. Sometimes especially with the hand pieced ones you will find a seam that is coming apart that was missed previously or a pucker that will catch on the hopping foot.

I've also refused several. I've even taken a couple back to the owner after studying the fabrics and piecing more closely than the first look and in better lighting. I pick up and deliver quilts due to zoning restrictions about having customers come to the house and this woman's house is really dark. They were returned due to very worn and fragile fabrics and piecing issues. I just didn't feel that I wanted to take responsibility for quilting these.

The first three quilts that I quilted for other people were quilts that were 70 years old. They belonged to my friend and had been made by her grandmother. One quilt was beautifully pieced by hand. The other two were also pieced by hand, but not so nicely. I had to fix seams on both and one of them had lots of fullness. I did an overall from the front on them so that I could keep an eye on the problems. They came out very well and my friend was delighted.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Liberty

• 1 month later...

The first time I took a quilt to a long arm quilter it was a 20 year old quilt. I machine pieced it, packed it around for 20 years then did some repairs. I realize now that it was probably a nightmare for the wonderful lady that quilted it for me, and she did it for a song. Good experience for me though, now that I'm planning on being on the recieving end!

Archived