Hello everyone:

I don't post much but do read everything...Love this site!!!!

I'm new in that I got my Millennium the end of May. I've been top stitching on sheets for the past while to get my feel for the machine and work on my steady lines etc. Recently I bought a few pannels (mostly baby so I can give them away after) so that I can practise setting up borders and try some stencils. QUESTION: I'm working the pannels with poly batting and I am having trouble maintaing a straight line along the sides of the quilt when you advance forward. The edge of the quilt is moving with the bulk of the batting....is there a trick or technique to make this process easier???

Also

BIG THANKS TO MARC who helped me a few weeks ago by phone with my timming problem. My machine is now working like a dream! You people at APQS are the greatest!!!!

Sheena:D

Hi Sheena!

Sounds like you are having fun!

Personally I like to pin the sides of the quilt as I work through the progression of the quilt, it will eliminate the tucks, as you can re-position the pins if need be. ;)

P.S. Mark is the greatest, is'nt he?:)

I too have a questiond regarding batting. I have always used Warm & Natural for my machine quilting but in reading one of my long arm books it said that it quilted up too stiff and in talking with Pat I started to thinking ofo the little bits of colored stuff that floats around in using it for light colored quilts. My question is this, should I return my roll before I open it and stock something else or am I okay with what I have? As it looks like I might actually be able to see my machine this weekend (YEAAAAA:D) I would like to make sure I have the correct supplies on hand.

Thank you all. You sure make this new adventure doable!!!:D

Bekah

Bekah,

I personally think Warm N Nautral has its place and isn't something that I would use for everything. It does get stiff if you use a ton of quilting, but it quilts up fairly okay if you are only doing a say traditional quilt....Warm n Natural if I remember right has to be quilted up to 3 inches apart, but when you get closer to that it does get stiff. I don't think I would use it to say McTavish, but that is my own personal opinion.

Now whether you can return it or not...I don't know, I know I can't return batting unless I'm willing to pay a restocking charge.

thank you Bonnie. I haven't tried to return it but will I think after reading your reply. I have not opened the roll so that might make a difference. If not, I can always find a use for it (maybe practice for charity as I learn) so what is your preference

Bekah

I am using Hobbs Poly Down right now, and I think I like it. This is the first quilt I have used it on, but so far it feels good, and the quilting looks good. The quilt itself could go into the "Ugly Quilt" catagory of a quilt show. I don't know how I always get the yuky quilts, but I do. ( I guess everyone else turns them down). Anyway, I think this is going to be a case where the quilting makes the quilt. It is not too puffy, but just enough to define the stitching.

Bekah,

Depending on what I am doing, I use either Hobbs Heirloom 80/20, Hobbs Poly Down or my ultimate fav the Hobbs wool.

My all time fav poly for kiddy quilts believe it or not comes from Walmart....they have a very soft poly that can be quilted out as far as 10 inches and you can stand on it and it will not pull apart....I just love this for the kiddy quilts, the fabric wears out before the batting does. Its Walmarts own brand "Creat-a-Craft...or that is what it use to be called.

Archived