Birthday Blocks...suggestion

SandraC

This is just for people like me who are stumped on what type of block to make for people!

I figure that if the person didn't specify a specific block, then I will make a maple leaf block since this is a symbol that represents Canada. I'm sure there are many blocks that would do the same for places that many of you live...ohio star, kansas city troubles, etc...just an idea for if you are having a creative block like I was last night!!!

By the way, got my first block yesterday...lots of fun to walk out to the mailbox and get a surprise that's not a bill!

Have a good day...........Sandra

Great idea Sandra. I did send someone a block with western fabric in it to symbolize Arizona. I also have used a reverse applique circle on two blocks and plan to use it again. Log Cabin is always a good choice for me since it is one I've done before. Mom gave me a couple of books with hundreds of selections and have been trying to expand my knowledge. Unfortunately, some blocks don't come with sizing so that was a trial and error process.

Another source for block ideas - I got my first block from Valerie and it was a Christmas Cactus, a new block design for me. I think I'll try making one. What a great gift, a pretty block and a new idea.

Good luck trying to decide. Vicki

There are some blocks that I always enjoy making and I will likely do different ones for different people. I also will likely choose blocks based on the fabric I select for various color combos.

My Phaff is in the shop and yesterday I was useing my daughters machine to make and attach a binding to the quilt I was finishing up. To say the least I would be hard pressed to do my usual nice quality blocks on this little machine so I will wait till I have my Phaff before I do any sewing. I will be attending a quilters retreat the first week of Feb and will have 3 days to just sew as much as I please. I plan on bringing fabric to make blocks with me so I can work on a dozen of these at the reteat!

I have my spreadsheet all printed out and just need to decide if I want to batch color or block design or just dive in and pick and choose. I will not be making these in birthday order so not to worry if you have a Jan birthday.

This has turned out to be quite the group effort! Just as it should. Great idea, thinks for sharing!

Vicki, you are quite lucky with that beautiful block!

I am really enjoying seeing this project manifest the way it is. Really loving the block pictures. I can't believe how well they are going together!

Archived