Bobbiesue

Brake, Brake.......secretly loosens............

I have followed the directions for the brake and now this is really beginning to get on my nerves.  I am use to the ratchets on my Gammill which ensures that the poles will not move, not budge, stays where I put them........

So I am sure because of how my Gammill poles operate that I am probably a lot less patient with the brake on my Millie.  So here is what is happening:

The directions say, don't over tighten the brake, you should be able to slightly move the pole with out releasing the brake.  Okay, I followed those directions, they don't work for me.

I have tried numerous tightnesses, however, the poles keep slipping out of tight during the entire process of quilting.  I am constantly having to tighten the allen screw on the brake handle, it appears that it will not hold after repeated braking-unbraking attempts.  It is way too hard to tighten the allen screw with the allen wrench and hold both poles at the same time............... :angry: it is to the point now that I have to do this every other time I advanced the quilt.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Suggestions?

Help?

I do quilt with pretty good tension on my quilts, but I do not over tension them.  I know that I am probably being picky and that I am way to use to my Gammill poles :P

TIA

What you can do is get some blue "Loctite" at a hardware store and put some on the allen screw threads you can see up at the top so when you get it to the proper tension it won't keep slipping on you.  :)  If that doesn't work, don't hesitate to call tech support at APQS and someone will be able to help you!

I don't know about your frame but I had a "duh" moment when after 4 years of my brake not holding so well I realized that I had it on upside down.  It worked so much better when I turned it over...:)  That's just me....I couldn't believe it when I realized that, I was ready to buy a new brake....

Archived