Pantos on a Millie 30

I don't have a clue as to how many quilts you could do a day, but I like the IntelliQuilter for ease of setting up pantos and all other designs. I had a QuiltPath but I fought with the software - my brain just would not work with the way the QuiltPath functioned. I think you need to check out both systems and decide which one is a better fit for you. 

As to the number of quilts per day, I believe it would depend on the size of the quilts, how fast you can load and unload quilts from your frame, the ease of setting up the computer, and the density of the quilting itself. I have a friend who can do 3 or more quilts a day on her system. I would never be able to do that many. I am very slow at setting things up and I take lots of breaks. Also, I don't quilt for others and am not trying to have a business.

Thanks, Sue . . .I’m leaning more toward IntelliQuilter since it seems more “Mac Like” and I’ve been a Mac user since the late 1980s, using photographic and design software.

But as a Mac user, I like having one place to go to when there’s a problem .  .  .not calling and being told “that’s a Dell problem” or “That’s a Windows problem” . . .so am imagining, if something goes wrong, running into “that’s an Intelliquilter problem” or “that’s an APQS problem”, LOL

I’m driving to Dallas for an APQS roadshow in January, and have made an appointment for private time afterward, and the APQS dealer is going to set something up with IntelliQuilter too, which I thought was helpful.  

Seems like the 30” Millie would be able to handle more rows of stitching before advancing the system which would greatly reduce quilting time.

You're correct that the fewer advances, the less time you spend on a quilt, as that's a more efficient way to work.  How much time that actually saves may not be a huge amount, but it all adds up.  That being said, it also depends on the density of the design you are quilting.  Same is true if you're hand-guided.  I've done pantos that take maybe 8-10 minutes across a quilt and some that take almost an hour, both freehand or computer.  That's why all pantos are not the same price and are also priced by sq/inch. I've quilted some dense pantos were it's taken a very long day to finish one queen quilt, other days I may get 3-5 small ones finished in a day.  I also use the zipper system and have lots of sets, so as one quilt is running, I can sit and pin the next 4 quilts.  Then I zip one off, zip the next one on and get it started.  Then I'm back to unpinning the first and pinning another on the zippers I just took off.  Very efficient way to work and save time.  I think this is one of the greatest advantages of having a computerized system.  I can even sit and piece when I run out of zippers, lol.

The nice thing about digital designs vs. paper is that you're able to scale most designs.  That's great in my opinion.  After years of paper pantos, I've found that sometimes you have the perfect design for a quilt, but the scale is to large or small for the quilt.  Computers definitely solve that problem.  If it were me and I could afford the new Millie 30 and a computer system (I have a Millie 26 w/Quilt Path), I would go for it!  If I were free handing, I would stick to the 26 as the extra space would be wasted as my arms aren't long enough and I couldn't see all the way back to the rail!

Merry Jo made a good point about the size of the head. When you are testing the machines (I doubt there will be a Millie 30 for you to try), see how far you can reach. You will need to be able to see and reach to the very top of the quilt if you want to be able to align smaller rows or see where to set your needle. I was told (this was long before the Millie 30 was developed and introduced) not to get something that was too big for my arms! Yes, now I would love a bigger quilting area but I don't have the width space in my quilting room. Have fun trying the machines at the APQS roadshow in January.

Just because a longarm is 30”, shouldn’t mean one couldn’t work, free hand, in the center or closer to the front of the table, but a a 30” head for computer work, would seem to me to be a total time saver.  The fortunate thing is, I’m 5’10” with very long arms, so it really shouldn’t be an issue for me, though the resale value might be affected.

It doesn't mean you can't work freehand on a 30 inch throat.  My point was the 30 inch throat with a computer system would be awesome, especially of the majority of my business was computer based!   If I wasn't able to get a computer system with a machine and my business was going to be freehand and hand-guided only, it would be a waste of space for me as I'm not tall enough to reach to the back.  It all depends on what style of quilting you do and how you're going to set up your business.  If you're mostly doing computer based work I would definately get the 30.  I think it would speed up the process because it would be a more efficient way to work.  We all do a little freehand, here and there, even with a computer system.  At least, everyone in my area.  So, depending on how you work and what your business model is, there's a a lot of options with APQS machines to get the right fit for your needs.  Isn't that great!  Have fun trying out the machines and ask a lot of questions.  There's a lot a good experience to draw from.

Archived