Backing on a king size

Hi all,

I have a question. I have a 100 x 100 quilt that needs the backing and then quilting. I have the fabric for the backing. It is 44" wide. What is the best way to seam the pieces together for the backing to avoid seam lines and bumps/creases on the back when quilting this. The quilting will be fairly dense as this is getting shapes to fill the piecing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Hey Teresa... I quilt King size quilts all of the time. There is always a seam in the middle unless you can find King size backing. (Which you can find at Joanne's or Hancocks). Be sure to press the seam down and you shoudln't have any problems. I don't have any issues with the seams on the back. I usually center the seam in the middle of the quilt and pin it good and tight. No problems.... Good luck.

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Iowa

Hi Teresa---

Since the top is a perfect square and IF it isn't directional, it won't matter where your seams lie on the back. Let the owner decide if they want those two seams to go horizontal or vertical when they make the bed! If the top has an obvious direction I would seam the back with horizontal seams so I would avoid the saggy bottom effect you get with those vertical seamed backers (since patterns are usually so much easier "right side up" ) I hope this makes some sense!!

Linda Rech

Lovely Olympia Wa.

(19 inches of rain since Christmas!)

Thanks for the help guys. I knew you'd come through. Actually the blocks are all exactly the same so it won't matter which way the seams run. I guess I will put it on the machine horizontally so it doesn't sag.

Thanks, Teresa

www. chickenscratchquilting.com

P.S. LInda, I feel your pain. My son and his family live in Seattle. wet, wet, wet

Archived