Thread breaking

Hello,

I am pretty new at this, I just got my Liberty May 20th. I should tell you that I had a short arm set up before, so I am not completely green. I've had a couple of practice pieces on, and of course there are a few starts and stops and bobbin problems, tension adjustments...but I am ready now to do this baby quilt.

I have it all loaded, I have a prewound coats poly bobbin, and Superior Varigated in the top. I am following a panto, "Which way did they go" and my top thread breaks on a pretty regular basis, just about in the same spot on each "motif". Since this is all loops it seems strange that it would break not doing the same move, but at the same loop sequence. Is this making any sense? I have thread lubricant on the varigated, but I am still having problems.

I am thinkng about switching either the needle, or the thread, but I really wanted to use that thread!! I am taking a break and will try again after piecing a couple of blocks for another top.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Guest Linda S

Cheryl?

Is the thread shredding along the needle shank? If so, you might have your needle slightly off kilter, you might have a little burr in the eye of that needle, or you might not have enough of a groove in the front of the needle. Change the needle. If the thread is just snapping off, your tension is too tight. I hope this helps. I just got a Ph.D. in Threadology from Superior Threads last night! :P

My APQS rep invited me to her quilt guild meeting, and they had Bob Purcell as the guest speaker. It was a wonderful learning experience.

Linda

Hi Cheryl,

Have you tried loosening yor upper tension? You can loosen it to the point of getting some loops and then slowly tighten it!! You may even need to loosen the bobbin tension just a little. If those things don't work, try changing the thread. if that doesn't work, there is probably a burr somewhere..(unlikely on a new machine, but could happen)

If you go to timing in your manuel, there is a picture of the hook and it shows you what to check..

If none of this helps, please give me a call and we can walk through some things,

Connie

APQS Service

800-426-7233 ext.6

First, thanks so much for taking time to help me out, I really appreciate it. After sending out my SOS, I took a little break, looked for cookies, then finding none went back to the machine.

For some reason known only to thread gremlins it seems to be working just fine now (knock wood). I did check the tension, and made a little adjustment to the quilt top...loosened it a little.

I really couldn't tell if the thread was shredding...by the time I noticed I wasn't stitching the thread was sort of bunched up by the take up lever....maybe that is just where it ended up after it snapped???

Anyway, thanks, I'm going to get this done this afternoon I hope.

Cheryl

Archived