Black Light Powder

Jhend

Does anyone have any tricks on how to get black light powder to stick to the fabric? I have used marking powder with a stencil and it worked great because I was able to get it into the fabric as the stencil area allowed me to rub it into the fabric. I am using Golden Threads quilting paper which I used my DSM to perforate the lines. Once I apply the black light powder to it, it went through the holes fine except it bounces off as I'm quilting. I tried lightly spraying it with a mist of water, but that removes or blurs the detail. I didn't want to use the stitch through the paper method as I have several blocks to do. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks

I have heard that you should mix blacklight powder with regular white chalk powder for best results. I think it is a 50/50 mix. You will still be able to see the blacklight powder but it will stay on the fabric better. Give it a try with a small amount and see if this helps.

My new favorite is the ultimate pounce. It only comes in white, but it sticks really well, and removes with the steam from an iron. I don't stencil much, but I do love this product. The other thing I love to do is trace the general block design onto plastic (report covers are cheap and stiff enough), and then trace around it with air-erasable pen as I work my way down the quilt. I may add some details too, but this way I can design my own treatment for the blocks and they are consistent

Good luck!

I have to agree with Caron,

The powder base that removes with stream is the way to go (ultimate pounce or Miracle chalk)

It stays on the fabric & you can vacuum or shake the residual off your quilt top. The black light powder shows up great, but as you said it bounces around no matter what & you lose your accuracy.

One of the other problems with the black light powder is that it is worked down into your hook assembly! Think about how you use a flour sifter, that powder is being sifted right down in your hook assembly! It is a mess in my opinion for little results.

Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that I did mix it with Pounce powder and it does vacuum off ok, but I did notice that it gets all over the hopper foot and then some. If this wasn't my first custom job, I would do as Caron suggests, but I freeze when it's not my own. This quilt has several different stars in it and snowball blocks inbetween. I'm doing a feather ring in the snowball blocks (trying to anyway), but the starts have me stumped. Maybe I'll have to post a picture for some ideas. I guess I'll just finish with stitching individual Golden paper patterns until I can get past the "it isn't perfect" thing.

Joanne

Archived