bobbin case question

Hi, I am a new long arm owner. Yesterday I experienced a problem that I can;t seem to fix. There is a small round shaped thin metal piece that fits inside the bobbin case. Hopefully I have used the correct term, its the bobbin piece that comes out of the machine and fits the actual bobbin. ANyway, the piece that popped out won;t fit back in. Is there a way to do this....or is it broken and repair not possible? Please help!!!

Thanks , Ann

Ann: Look at the little disc closely. On one side, there's a little "nub thing" that sticks out. Be sure to line it up with the little opening in the bobbin case where it fits.

Also, I use something to gently mush it down in there to be sure it clicks in place.

While we're talking about that, you'll notice there's a little "finger thing" that sticks up on that disk. After a while, it may get smushed down too much and I have very gently raised it just a tad. That keeps the bobbin from spinning too much.

Not sure the "raising of the finger" is something APQS recommends but it has worked for me.

Sorry about not knowing the correct technical terms for all these things I've tried to describe.

I am trying to push the thing back in...do you line up the half circle with the half circle in the case. This makes sense to me but the little nubs that stick out on the metal disc don't line up with the little indentations on the bobbin case. Do i line up the nubs or the half circle? All so technical.

Oh, and Sandra, I live in Whitby Ontario. WHere are you located?

Thanks for the help , Ann

Congratulations - and the "Technical term for the little "small round shaped thin metal piece that fits inside the bobbin case" is a backlash spring. It keeps the bobbin from freely spinnin inside and unwinding way more thread than you want to come off the bobbin - and Judy is right - sometimes the little springs inside get flattened and need to be raised a bit - I've done it too - and....as long as we're on the subject, when you order new bobbin cases you may get a different type that has a different looking spring - really blew me away when I looked at my new ones and the backlash spring was completely different - they all seem to work tho - but good luck for tackling one of your early "fix it" issues.

Archived