YLI Jeans Thread

A friend wants me to use 12 wt thread on one of her quilts.

I still don't have the spool thingys for my machine. So I found the YLI jeans thread at the local longarm store. It has the same look and feel as the 12 wt

Has anybody ever used the YLI Jeans thread?

How does it behave?

Am I OK using a 3.5 needle?

Appreciate the help.

Hi Ramona,

Caron is right. Since the thread is thicker, you may need to go to a larger needle with a larger eye. The smaller needles have smaller eyes so they cause too much friction at the eye and cause thread breakage. You could try a 4.0 needle, and if you still have problems, then go to a 4.5.

Later,

Hi Linda,

I would most definitely use a bigger needle at least the standard MR.4's that come with your machine.

The jeans thread is so thick that you may find that you need to quilt a little slower than normal to avoid breakage. ;)

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

A friend wants me to use 12 wt thread on one of her quilts.

I still don't have the spool thingys for my machine. So I found the YLI jeans thread at the local longarm store. It has the same look and feel as the 12 wt

Has anybody ever used the YLI Jeans thread?

How does it behave?

Am I OK using a 3.5 needle?

Appreciate the help.

I have used Jean Stitch thread with great success. I use the MR4 needle and have had no problems with breakage. The only thing to watch for is the back. You have to get the tension balanced or you will get little knots. Sometimes I put Jean Stitch in the bobbin and sometimes I just use a regular weight thread. I keep a separate bobbin case for the heavier threads as you do need to loosen quite a bit. This is where the TOWA guage comes in really handy. You just adjust to your optimum setting.

I love the look of Jean Stitch when I really want the quilting to stand out. It's especially nice when you have a motif you want to quilt and then use a lighter weight for the background quilting.

Kay

Archived