redwork quilt HELP, please

I am in a quandry as to what to do with a hand embroidered redwork quilt. There are 54 blocks, each with a different Mamie face, a replica of a Civil War quilt of Black Memorabilia, done by a friend of mine. It measures about 83" x 109". Each 'face' square is sashed with tiny red rick-rack.

What I am in need of is something easy but nice to do on this quilt. I have a 12' table, so my templates won't work on this size quilt, if I decide to use something like wavy lines along the outer borders.

She would like scalloped edges, but since I will be doing that part also, I told her I would not do those. However, I would be willing to do a wavy edge. I don't thank that would be as difficult to apply since there would be no deep corners along the gentle wave.

Any suggestions as to where to look for examples of quilting on Redwork would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Grace,

If you do a search on this site using the word "redwork" there are several that come up. Be sure to search from the beginning. Looks like most do a pattern and stitch through the redwork. I did one of my own and did cross hatching through the redwork and it looked great.

Good luck!

Archived