Binding charge

Grammie

I haven't been asked to do the binding on a quilt until yesterday. The quilt is for utilitarian purposes and customer would like it to be machine attached front and back. I wasn't sure what would be a fair charge. I was thinking about .20 for the linear inch. Is this too much? I wanted to be fair. I don't mind doing it at all although it is time consuming. The quilt is 93x100.

Hi Grammie---

I charge by the foot (plus fraction thereof) to apply binding- $2 a foot for sewing on front and $3 a foot if they want it hand-sewn to the back. I don't have a lot of takers but I find the hand sewing relaxing. Your price seems fair at $2.40 a foot.

Here's a hint--(maybe you already do this)--if you are machine-sewing both sides of the binding, trim the quilt and sew the binding to the backer first. Then wrap it to the front and you can control the top-stitching on the front to make it look nice. Otherwise, sewing from the back to the front it is difficult to "hit the ditch" to have a nice look. Just a hint to share! Go for it and have fun.

Linda Rech

Oly Wa

Go to Sharon Schamber's website. She has a binding technique by machine that I use. I think it works well. I find it great for quilts that are going to be used alot and put in the wash alot especially if its for young people who drag them off from time to time. I like this technique because it keeps the front nice in the event they do choose to hang it.

I love to hand stitch also and do on many of my own quilts. I will also do that for a customer if they want but I am always happy that they choose to do it because I can load the next quilt and do what I really like doing.

Archived