McTavishing

I have a couple of questions about the McTavishing technique,

1) Do you use the extended base when doing this technique?

2) What is the preferred stitch legnth?

3) How long before you became really comfortable using this technigue in a background fill?

I have PPP on paper and really like the way it looks on paper but when I try to stitch it on my own quilt it looks like I have it then I get disoriented and then I get a few spots that I don't like. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips that you can share to help with the learning curve on this technigue?

Thanks!

Joann

Hi JoAnn,

I do not use my base, I just wing it like I am drawing on paper.

Sometimes I use my stitch regulator, & other times I don't.

When I do, I use the stitch range between 10 to 12.

Try it both ways & see what is easier for you with the flowing movement. It is different for everyone, but I do know that PPPing, with your machine will give you that confidence, just try it out on some muslin, put on some music & get "funky" & have fun!:cool:

If you do not have Karen's book, you might want to invest in that as well, it has a CD that you can play over & over!:)

Most importantly just have fun & allow it to come, & I know it will! ;)

Hi Joann.

The book does show how to do this technique. You don't need the base expander of this.

Are you being too hard on yourself though? Everyone does things with their own flair. So even if you are doing it correctly it may not look exactly like Karen's. Working at a speed that is comfortable for you will give you your best results.

Myrna

Yep Joann,

I think you were, so "Just get over it" & have fun!;)

Like Myrna said, your McTavishing is going to be your own individual "finger-print", so enjoy the process, even if it means making less than perfect designs at first, it just keeps getting better all the time, and that a good thing!:)

Archived