Bonnie starch and steam on the back?

Bonnie will the starch and steam method work on the back of a quilt? I have one on and the backing is stretchy and now I have a little roll. It's not puckered or pleated just looks like a little belly roll. So I was wondering if the starch and steam when I am done will shrink this and I won't have it anymore.

I guess I wonder how much of a pucker it really it....it will only take out so much.....give it a try to see, but if its a stretch pucker and not a loose fabric pucker it should work....if you didn't give the quilt backer that extra tug to make it flat, and its just was really loose in there, I don't know, but if its a pucker caused by stretch it should make it lay flat again. Did I confuse you....I did myself...

I'm sure Bonnie Botts will answer this, but I was just going to post a new thread about this. Mind if I share with you?

I just finished a 44x44 wall hanging that I very heavily steamed and starched before I pieced it. And I had to steam some bubbles out of it while I was quilting. (worked like a charm) Now that it is quilted, I want to remove the heavy starch so it will be soft and drapable.

Bonnie Botts, can you give us a short primer on how to do this? I just finished trimming it and am wondering if I put the binding on first, or wait until after it's "washed?" and dried? The binding has been starched too. And I starched the backing too.

I don't want to shrink it too much, and I don't want too much of that "shrinkle" look. So it will need to be blocked to dry. Do this before the binding, or after?

If its a small wallhanging and for yourself I would just block it after you have the binding on and have wet it enough to get the starch out. You don't have to put it through a wash cycle to get the starch out...if you just soak it in the tub and ring it out that should be enough, but you will need to block it.. Something this small I would do it after binding.

Thanks Bonnie. I got out my Karen Mc book "Quilting for Show" and she wets hers down before trimming. I already trimmed mine so I guess I'll just go ahead and put the binding on like you said. It's not a big deal. I'm still learning how the pros do it. I never did block my show quilts. Oh, except one because I basted the whole thing before I quilted it, and the holes showed so bad (batik) I thought washing it would close them up. It was a very small 33x33 hanging. And then there was the one that was heavily quilted inside and lightly quilted in the borders. That was the most friendly quilt I've ever made--waved to everyone. :P :P I ended up taking the binding off that one and redo-ing it to take the fullness out. It helped a little, but it's not a show quilt now. It's a cuddly quilt.:)

I thought too of dipping it in the bathtub to remove the starch, then put it on a gentle spin in the washer. Then lay it flat to dry--of course with a few pins to square it up. Do you think I'll have trouble making it flat again? Should I steam/press it? Oh dear, too many questions. I'll just go do it.

Thanks for listening.

Archived