Raising the bars

I asked the other day about this, but lost the thread it was discussed on. When using the base extender and rulers, I keep bumping into the bars. Someone mentioned that you can raise your bars to avoid this. How do you do it? and what else might need to be adjusted?

It would be so nice to have more space when using the base extender.

Help, anyone?

thanks much,

karol

Karol you just have to take the pole out of the eye holes, loosen (turn left) and then replace the bar into the hole. To turn the eye hole you have to loosen the nut at the base and once you have it raised enough (usually only a turn or two) then retighten the nut and you should be good to go. Make sure you raise it the same amount on each side.

Take the bars off and then turn the bar holder screws counter clockwise to unscrew them some, just make sure you do the same revolutions on each end to keep them level. If this doesn't make sense I'll have to actually look in the book to see the exact name for the bar holder thingies. LOL

Karol, the bars are heavy so when you remove, use great care. I slid mine out of the eye bolt very carefully and "very gently very lightly placed" the end of the bar so it was resting on the top end where the legs are. Then I turned the eye bolts several times (maybe 5 or 6 times) and carefully slid the bar back into the eye bolts and tightened back down. You need to do this to both sides of the table and remember how many rotations you turned so you can raise it level on both sides. One person can do this, but it might be safer to have an extra set of hands there for help. These bars are very heavy so use great caution. I don't want it to drop and hurt you.

Helpful hint: Karol, when I did this, I crawled up in between the table so I was up in the middle of it. This way, I was able to stand right there and remove the bar, and walk to the other end. Being in the middle inside the table area right there seemed safer to me for grabbing onto those heavy bars.

On second thought, perhaps you should have one person at each end holding those bars so they don't slip and fall. That scares me. Just be careful. This is when you really want those extra hands and sets of eyes holding the bar stable as you slide them in and out of the eye bolts.

I raised two bars during this time: My leveler bar and my quilt top bar. These two should be even. You can use a level and watch the bubble to adjust and get them both at the same height.

Archived