Applique help for NEWBIE

Still trying to decide how to approach this quilt top and hoping for a few hints.

1. On the Border if I do treat the rounded pieced border as a feather vein would I use the invisible thread or another suggestion welcomed.

2. I plan to SID at the colorful border, echo the applique and treat the background as one Big piece. I want to add some different size feather wreaths throughout where there are large open spaces. Does this sound like a good plan?

3. As far as applique some of the applique has large pieces so is it ok to Quilt some of the larger pieces so to add texture or demension. For instance there is a large pinapple and I wanted to give it a pinapple texture and some flower petals also.

4. I plan to use Hobbs 80/20 in addition to DREAM PUFF batting for the faux trapunto look through out. I will fill in all the background also. I understand the dream is light and will quilt beautifully. I am hoping not to stiffen the quilt so if there is a better way to approach this please share it with me. This is my first applique for a customer and although I am nervous I am very excited about it. It is a wedding gift to her daughter and I am praying for really good results. I start vacation tomorrow and will devote some time to this quilt.

5. I welcome all suggestions as I need all the help I can get. lol

Thanks Tammie

Guest Linda S

Tammie - I would check with your customer to see if she wants you to quilt on the applique. Quilting large pieces of applique is not always easy. The Dream Puff batting is wonderful and I think it is a good choice for your faux trapunto. If you have large spaces, the feathered wreaths might be a good choice. Also consider some echoing, McTavishing, or other nice background fills. Looks like it will be a wonderful quilt. Any chance you could post a photo of the whole thing, in a smaller size?

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Archived