Thread tension Measuring device?

It is difficult to repeat the tension setting on the Milli from thread to thread (ie. poly to cotton) as there are no indicators on the ring, especially for muliturn adjusts.

Can you tell me where I can find a small thread tension measuring device? that way I can record the tension for a particular thread type and redial and test with the tension measurement without a lot of trial and error.

Any thoughts?

thank you

It's a really a matter getting used to the types of threads you use. If you only switch between a couple you could use one color sharpie to mark a dot for that kind on your temsioner and another color to mark your tensioner for the other. I can just eyeball where my tension needs to be set. When I need to I give it a fairly good turn as to which way I need to adjust.

Myrna

I never look at the front of my dial. After threading the needle, I just pull on the thread and adjust the tension til I feel it's right and then I test it by stitching.

I'm thinking after a little bit more quilting, you'll feel more comfortable about knowing where to set the tension simply by the feel of the thread.

I am a new longarm quilter and I have a problem I cannot solve. I am hoping there is an experienced quilter on line who can help me. Here it is:

I have noticed that when the machine goes from left to right on the panto side of the machine or right to left from the front of the machine, the bobbin thread lies underneath the backing fabric and I have loops with the top thread. It only occurs when the stitching goes from left to right. The rest of the stitching is fine. It also does not show on the top. The top stitching looks perfect. However, underneath only in those spots I have mentioned the tension is not right. Nowhere else.

Has anyone encountered this problem? If yes, how did you solve it?

I tried to tighten the top tension as tight as possible so that the top thread does not break and to avoid having the bottom thread showing on top of the quilt.

I live in the South of England and the majority of quilters want their quilts to be quilted with cotton threads not polyester threads unless they are for embellishment.

If you help me solve this problem you will be my friend forever!

Brigitte

It is me again!

Wayne86's question re. Thread tension Measuring device is an excellent question. There is a gadget to check the bobbin tension but is there a gadget to measure the top thread tension? I understand that with experience you can tell if the tension is right by pulling the top thread. I have tried that. I am filling loads of samples to get the tension right. Under the frame, I have a daylight light and a magnifying glass to check the tension which I modify as I go along. A twitch here and a twitch there. No 100% success so far! What am I doing wrong?

Brigitte

http://www.mescoltd.com/acessories2.html

Here is a thread tension measuring device I found. I Googled, thread tension guage. I think Tajima is the maker. Its the only one I can find. Its less then $20. Its simply a calibrated spring to draw tension on the tread with graduated readouts for the ounces of tension. I suppose something like this could be easily made with a small spring as in a pen. Its not necesary that it be calibrated, just repeatable from measurement to measurement and ability to mark on the body of the device the ultimate desired tension so you can repeat the setting later.

Archived