American & Efrid at Dallas Thread

Starla...I've used this company to but threads for years...its a GREAT quality thread and it may have some lint, but that's what a aircompressor is for...and if you use Sewer Aid on the thread, it cuts down on lint. Great company to work with and the prices are great.

The difference is thread weight...the higher the number the thinner the thread.... Sew fine is a 50 weight if that give you something to go by..... YLI I believe is a 30 or 35 weight....

Bonnie, I think Starla is referring to TEX, not weight.

Starla, PermaCore comes in TEX 30 and TEX 40, with 40 being the thicker of the 2. I get so turned around on TEX versus weight mostly because they are opposite.

I think Bob Purcell (Mr. Superior Threads) says it better than I can:

Excertp from: http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/141/

1. Weight. A smaller weight number indicates a heavier thread. The weight of a thread is actually a length measurement. Dividing the length of thread by a set weight derives the exact measurement of a thread weight. A thread is labeled 40 wt. when 40 kilometers of that thread weighs 1 kilogram. A 30 wt. thread is heavier because it takes only 30 kilometers of thread to weigh one kilogram.

2. Denier. Weight in grams of 9000 meters of thread. If 9,000 meters weighs 120 grams, it is a 120-denier thread. Many polyester and rayon embroidery threads are 120/2, which equals 2 strands of 120-denier thread for a 240 denier total. Larger denier numbers are heavier threads.

3. Tex. Weight in grams of 1000 meters of thread. If 1,000 meters weighs 25 grams, it is a tex 25. Larger tex numbers are heavier threads.

Crazy, huh?

Archived