Quilting problems w/ Heat n' Bond Wallhangings

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems quilting a large (McKenna Ryan type) wall hanging and having the "heavily bonded" areas bow out on you? I realize those areas have no give, but thought they would just lie flat ... not so, and I am very dissappointed in the finished project, luckily it is not for a customer.

Were you able to fix the problem? I was thinking of un-picking the whole thing and just hanging it back up on my sewing room wall unquilted, it looked great that way. lol

:P

Janet

Well the few that I have done...all depended on which bonding was used...if the customer used a heavy one. With the different heavy layers, it was really hard to get it from bowing.

But I found that the more quilting I did the better (background fills and outline quiltng) is laid...so I guess I really don't have an answer...just some bow more than others, and to use the lightest bonding you can get....

Thanks Bonnie,

I used Heat n' Bond Lite II, but with the layers of mountains, trees, and rocks, sea life, etc., in some places there ended up being at least 3 layers, some places even more than that. The overall quilt looks good, just in "those extra layer areas" it bulges out. Very dissappointing I must say.

Janet

Hi Janet, most of the McKenna Ryan projects are made from batiks which is very tightly woven, add the fusible and it gets stiff. If you don't stitch over it it will 'bow' or sag in larger unquilted areas, especially if it's hanging up! I've got an aquarium quilt that is hanging and over time the rocks that I made from batiks are sagging, but since it's a dimensional quilt that's not so bad.

Bonnie's suggestion to quilt it heavily or at least a bit on every fused piece will keep them all nailed down better. It's also helpful if you can trim away some of the under layers, I know that McKenna's projects have many small pieces so you can't always do that. You can also trim the center of the fusible out and have fewer layers and stiffness which makes it easier to quilt.

Archived