Being inspired by the 1930's

I have been spending alot of time on webshots these past few weeks looking at quilts and thinking about the current recession.

Our grandmothers and mothers that were quilting during the 1930's didn't let their financial problems get them down. In fact they recycled their fabrics, clothing and just about anything they could find into some beautiful quilts. Looking at these classic timeless beauties have inspired me to create my own heirloom (maybe even 2 or more) but starting with the grandmother's flower garden then who knows, a dresdan plate, a tumbling block, and who knows perhaps a double wedding ring quilt. Anything is possible when one is inspired!

Both my sides of the family are from WVa and their motto was "make do". I have found that thrift shops have fabulous selections of fabric.......skirts, dresses, shirts. Also, I've been trying to keep all the kids tshirts as they grow out of them to make my son and daughter a quilt. I am even going to make one for my son out of the EMT and firefighter shirts he's grown out of.

Reading this post made me cast my mind back over our recent quilt show. A customer asked me if anything caught my fancy and I was a bit stumped. Having had time to think about it, though, I think for bed quilts I like traditional quilts with plenty of white or cream to make them restful. Combination of pieced and applique is nice. For pieces on the wall I like something a little brighter and folk art inspired. Houses, trees, birds, flowers etc.

I am speaking of quilts I like to look at, not quilts I like to put on the Millie. I did three Civil War Letters quilts and loved looking at all the beautiful fabrics - so many in each square! I like to quilt something where the squares guide the quilting and the quilting enhances the pattern. How about you?

Sylvia FC

Archived