How do you do it??

Ok, I recieved a call from VERY nice lady who has a queen sized quilt she would like outlined quilted (echo)for a client of hers (She has an interior design business) could I please take this job? I figured -hey the extra cash would be nice so I told them I would.(1st mistake) I also thought it would be great to "get in good" with a company like that. I picked it up and they are so nice. It is home dec fabric but that's ok-it's still doable right? I took their measurements 110x136!?!?What?? she said a queen! (2nd mistake) and bought the poly batt accordingly. and called them back with my quote. Now I have only done quilts for VERY close friends and family and have always given a huge discount!! I was nervous when I called with the price quote (no discount) but they did not even batt an eye!! I thought COOL!! (3rd mistake) When I loaded the back the seams were very tight and the body sagged-what am I going to do??? so of course I thought I would ask here. But then I thought I would load the batt and top to see what else I was up against-guess what-the top is 12+inches shorter than the back!!! AAARRGGHHHH. I called them and explained what is happening. I am going to give the quilt back undone as I would have needed to finish it this weekend due to my schedule. (upcoming shows) I am dissapointed for many different reasons..a loss of great money!, I feel as tho I was let down, and I feel as tho I let them down. I know that is not the case but they are just great people and I hope to still be refered to by them. Just wondering how you all deal with the problems of this business on a daily basis? I really don't know.

We'll see what the future brings.

Pattty

First off you need to help educate your potential customer....she said a quilt, but really meant a spread. Just because its quilted doesn't mean its actually a quilt. Her measurements of 110" x 136" would have been a good length and side drop for a spread and given enough room for a rolled hem as most spreads have.

Secondly home dec fabric work wonderfully with our machines, they don't know they aren't suppose to eat it, and it tastes good so its an easy peasey there...you may have to lift your pressure foot a bit for a thicker batting, but nothing other than that....I use the same threads for home/dec spreads as I do a regular quilt... although I have to admit I lean more towards the King Tuts or the Signature threads as they are heavier.

Thirdly when doing a quilt/spread for a home interior business, I ask for the materials and actually make the quilt top and backing myself, that way I know I won't get any surprises and most generally those that I have worked with would rather I do that anyway. (now remember if there is a repeat you need to match that up as well) I tell them how many yards of top and backing fabrics I need, and then pick up that from them, battings are then talked about as to what they are expecting for final look and then I purchase the battings...I don't keep that stuff on hand as some do.

And now you confuse me here, you said the top was 12+ inches shorter on top than the backer...Don't you want the top to be smaller... I do...I ask for the backing fabrics to be at least 4 inches bigger on each side and top and bottom and I really jump for joy when I get 6 inches. Depending on your batting and the backer fabrics with homedec you can get some major major suck up...the top has no give so the batting and the backer is where you are going to experience that, and if you don't have enough backing or batting you will be short before you get the quilt done.

With expressing your needs and wants from them that will be the only way you can communicate. When they know what you are asking for and need you will see that they will come back many times and doing these is GREAT money, as most of the time they just want a simple line sewn across the quilt equally spaced and then you flip and go the other way making a waffle effect... I then round off the bottom corners using a dinner plate or something circular, and then to finish I just use my surger and surge the edge of the quilt...roll so I have a 1 - 2 inch hem and then top stitch it down using threads that will blend into the top so you don't see it. IF they want it hand sewn fine, but that's a extra charge as they spreads are heavy and you sometimes need to use upholstry threads to keep them from popping.

Good luck if you want to continue with this...Home Dec is a good side business if you can get it.

They asked if I could cut some off the sides and sew it onto the bottom of the backing-I said in addition to a large increase in the price I quoted them it simply would look terrible! I explained my time constraints and gave them a name of a friend who would have some time to do it this weekend if they provided a different(correct size) backing. They were very nice about the entire thing and are gratefull for the name to complete the project.

Live & Learn!

Archived