Backing with problems

I received a quilt from a client and the backing definitely has a problem...she pieced an additional section on the top and the bottom and it draws the top and bottom sections in and wrinkles. I have taken pictures and sent them to her and she says she trusts my judgement...she can order a fatback but I will be going out of town May 30 for two months and don't want this custom project to be rushed. The quilt top can be mounted below the pieced section on the top but will not "miss" the bottom section. I can add big time tension and tight clamps but I fear it will make for puckers on the back. Does Anyone have any suggestions? Should I just give it back to her and suggest another longarmer do the work since I will be going out of town or wait to see how long it will take to get the fat back and work from there OR try to work with the back as it is. I am attaching a picture of the back on the frame without tension.

post--13461901587566_thumb.jpg

Can she remove this bottom piece, measure to correct length, pin and resew? I find the biggest problems come when the pieces are just sewn on and NOT pinned. This stretches the fabric and you know the rest of the story...

Okay, just seen your other post... if you use side tension straps you may not have that big of a problem. I find if I roll the backing all the way onto the back bar and then unroll onto the front bar this tends to get rid of a lot of problems - as I'm doing this I am keeping tension on the backing.

I would take it apart and do it myself. Did she cut off the salvages? If not that is what is causing the problem. She might not have started with a squared piece either. I would also try rolling it back and forth on the rollers a few times and see if that helps but from what I'm seeing here it looks like there is too much fabric.

Archived