Updates and Clarifications on George

Hi Everyone!

A quilter interested in George recently brought up a couple of questions regarding threads she had read on the forum about George, and was unsure about how things were resolved.

I thought I'd give a quick update and address those questions just in case someone else is curious! :)

Early this year it was brought to my attention that the manual for some of the Georges went out with an index that didn't match the body of the manual. I messed that up as the "editor" of the manuals and have corrected the problem. I have a big sticky note on my computer monitor reminding me to update the index whenever I make manual corrections. Thanks to Scott Murkin and others of you for catching this...at least it shows that someone is actually reading the manual! :)

Another question that came to light dealt with the Plexiglas insert and its "fit" into the cabinet. Because the cabinet is made from wood and wood particles, we must build tolerances into each opening to allow for expansion and contraction, depending on the humidity and temperature of your location. This means that the Plexiglas insert will fit a little loosely into the opening. The manual addresses how to position and "lock in" the George sewing head so that the Plexiglas is tight against the front of the cabinet where it is most important as your push your quilt through the throat.

A third thread addressed the issue of the throat plate being below the Plexiglas surface, where the customer had to shim the George machine to make the opening fit correctly. We have remedied this issue by adding several thick and thin washers under the needle plate and adjusting the hopping foot accordingly. These extra washers allows each user to create a custom fit to accommodate the wood tolerances in the "box" or "well" where George sits so that the Plexiglas and the needle plate are flush.

Finally, after George's original debut, quilters shared input on its design and table. After evaluating all of the responses, APQS changed the table design to make it more compatible with the smaller studio space that George customers often have. Therefore, we eliminated one leaf to the right of the machine, and upgraded the remaining leaf supports so that each customer could customize the leaf height to keep the table flat and smooth.

Unfortunately, our current literature states the "old" table size, and until recently so did the APQS website. We have updated the site to include the correct table dimensions of 40 x 77 (with leaves fully extended), and have instructed our representatives working with George customers to be sure to indicate the table's correct dimensions.

If you ever have a problem or a concern with your George, just call our service department or me, or send us an email, and we'll do our best to make it right!

Happy Quilting!

And that, folks, is an example of APQS superior customer service. ((((((applause)))))))

Thank you Dawn Cavanaugh---you rock!:D

I'm still planning my vest. I can hardly wait to get it on the machine just so I can send you a picture of what's been in my head for the past year. I really enjoyed your class at MQS last year. Remember the vest, couching, embellishing on the machine, weaving fabrics, and I don't remember all of it. It was great. You're an excellent teacher. Thanks for the freebies on YouTube too.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dawn -- I've had my George for just about two years and love him. I'm going through the most recent posts and realize that I didn't receive the manual that some people refer to. I purchased George, a floor model, from my LQS, and I'm guessing they didn't have one or forgot to provide it to me. What's the best way for me to go about getting a copy? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dawn: I received my George 10 days ago, and the index on the manual doesn't match the actual manual. Is it possible to get the correct index? I love my George, the only problem I'm having is that the weather is absolutely perfect, and it's hard to justify sitting inside with him.

Joy

Archived