Using rulers

joyfulstitches

If I want to use rulers to do some straight line quilting, is it best to have the stitch regulator on or off? In doing some practicing, with the Hartley base expander, I had some problems with the stitch regulator going crazy. Perhaps I was pushing down too hard with the ruler. Any help would be appreciated! Merci beaucoup!!

Use the stitch regulator and don't press down so hard that the machine won't move. It'a a light touch but firm and you make sure the edge next to the hopping foot is definitely down or you can take a bite out of your ruler. You kind of have to move your finger, your ruler and your finger pressure along with the hopping foot. Always adjusting as you go. Takes a little practice to get the feel.

Hi Joy,

Pressing to hard on your ruler causes your machine to "lift" a bit which in turn causes you to loose the good contact with your s/r sensors.

When using a ruler or stencil I keep a light but firm pressure on the ruler that is in the area of the hoping foot. You want to keep the ruler in contact with the hoping foot and have the pressure on that side of your ruler. If you are applying pressure on the outside edge of your ruler it will lift at the hopping foot and that can cause clipping of your ruler. And it scares the beegeebies out of you not to mention you can break a needle or other uglies that you don't want! Go slowly and work your hand to the area you are stitching in, for example, if you are stitching around a heart template. Move your hand to keep the pressure in the area that you are stitching. When using a straight ruler for SID. I will only stitch in a short area at a time then I stop and move my ruler and start again. I don't slide my ruler as I am quilting. That gives me undirsable results such as pinching the fabric at some point. Sometimes I turn my machine down and stitch without my S/R at times I find that I can just turn my machine down and not use a ruler. Maybe these photos will give you a better idea.

http://community.webshots.com/album/528348220SdUfag/1

Gone Quilting

Myrna

Archived