quilting the 'backing'?

MaryLou5740

Somewhere I read where it worked out well, to load the quilt 'upside/down'..(Put the backing on top and quilt around the designs that are in the print used for backing)

Has anyone done this? Results? I have a rather boring quilt ready to go into the machine, but the backing material is prettier than the quilt with large leafed plants/flowers/butterflies...I had the idea if I outlined the major details on the backing fabric, it might look pretty good on the top, too. Comments? ML

I've done this once and love the results. Larraine Scouler has a book out titled Quilting Back to Front, love the book and really should use it more. Larraine is using a DSM so loading (or basting) is different. With a LA needing to have the backing larger and in this case your backing is your quilt top - you have to baste the quilt sandwich so you don't get your quilt top caught on the under side of the machine.

The quilt I used this method with was no larger than 60 x 60 so basting it wasn't to bad, just watch for puckers.

Be brave and give it a try - and of course we'd love pictures.

Archived