NQR geo-thermal heating...

Hi there...

My head is spinning with information I've been learning about heating and cooling my house with a geo-thermal system. I can think of a lot of reason why I would want to do it...especially since my furnace is old and the gov't is offering such good grants right now to switch over.

I would love to hear from any of you who have this and could give me some opinions and experiences. You can post it on here or email me if you like at croley@optionsdsl.ca

We are in the process of putting in a tankless water heater that will also heat the floor in the winter time.... I can have Gene call you if you would like more information...I just smile and grin at him when he starts talking. All I know is that when the electric bill comes in the winter time its triple of what he says it will be when we finish our upgrade.

We put in a heat pump last winter. When the temp is above 30 it kicks on, it doesn't heat as warm as the furnace but boy my gas bill sure stayed low all winter. I can live with a sweater to save some $$. Unfortunately, we couldn't use it as a tax credit, it isn't big enough. Obama reinstated the credit for this year, there wasn't a furnace credit ly.

So is this the same thing....where they dig down in the ground and lay pipes down? And did you have the cooling benefits in the summer? We don't have A/C and my LA is in the room that feels the humidity the worst. On those days, I don't work past noon at the latest!

I'm not sure what you're system is like, Bonnie, but it sounds environmentally good, too.

There will be tubes attached to the underside of the main floor and the hot water will go through and warm the house. Its run by natural gas....

Geo-Thermal is where you have an underground source of natural hot water...or at least it in around the Reno/Sparks area...there are thermals all over in that area.

We have a water source heat pump for our house. It actually is a couple wells that have a closed loop system where a fluid is circulated. in the summer it gets cooled by the ground and then our system uses the cooled fluid to cool the house. In the winter the opposite happens, fluid is warmed by the earth and then warms the house. works great and our electric bill is very low.

If you google water source heat pumps it will bring up several sites or I can ask DH more details about ours if that would help. We just love it. Our elecrtic bill in the summer is $120-$150. We have a wood stove so it doesn't run much in the winter but the summers in Nebraska are hot so the AC runs quite a bit.

Archived