Top Thread Tension Loosening Off

I am using So Fine in the top and bottom line in the bobbin. I have the top thread wrapped around the three hole guide.

When I start stitching I have my top thread so that when it is pulled to the back through the needle the tension spring moves to between 9&10 o'clock. Resting is at 11 o'clock.

Part way through stitching a pantograph( only half a bobbin used), the top thread loosens off and the stiches get loose. When I pull the top thread back through the needle the needle spring does not move ( ie no tension now on top thread). I have to stop recheck tension etc.

What would cause the tension to loosen off like this?

Lyn

Hi Lyn,

When I start stitching I have my top thread so that when it is pulled to the back through the needle the tension spring moves to between 9&10 o'clock. Resting is at 11 o'clock.

First I would unthread the top and with a thin strip of soft white cotton fabric (old cotton T shirt fabric works great for this) ---I would "floss" between the upper tension disks. They may need a good cleaning.

Do you have a bit of soft fluffy batting in the guide just above your cone of thread to keep the thread slightly tensioned there? Thread the machine, and then stuff the piece of soft batting into the looped guide. Not too much batting, just enough to keep the thread from moving around and to keep it feeding straight. Pull on the thread to test. It should feel loose and free.

Rewind a completely new bobbin, and check to see if your previous bobbin has any loose winding on it. That could be the problem more than the top tension.

Check that your bobbin winder is winding correctly. Tight and stacking the thread.

You mention pulling the thread back through the needle and the check spring not moving. It won't move as you pull thread back through---I hope I understand what you meant.

There is an old rule about thread tension problems:

If the "problem" is on top of the fabric---the problem is in the bobbin area of the machine.

If the "problem" is under the fabric---the problem is on the upper or top of the machine.

Hope you get your frustrating problem resolved soon.

Archived