Playing around with George

Hi everyone --

I'm the proud owner of George for about two years now. I recently met a fellow George owner and after admiriing her quilting, I of course had to find out how she managed to do such an awesome job. She told me uses silk thread and size 12 needles. She also told me she did not make any changes to the timing when using the size 12. Hmmm??? I don't know a thing about timing, but I did get instructions on how to change it about a year ago when I was considering a smaller needle, but just the thought of messing with "timing" scared me off. Well, I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try today. I used 100 wt invisiline in the top, bottom line in the bottom and my size 12. The top thread broke 2 times, but after loosening the top tension I was off and running. George seemed to work fine and it actually looks pretty good. Maybe a bit tight in some places, but that's probably because I was doing tiny pebbles, afraid to do anything larger, because who knows what could happen :) I don't want to do anything to damage my machine and I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me what problems one would have if the timing were off? Thanks... Deb

If the timing is off you will not have nice or nearly nice stiches. When the timing is off you have skipped stiches and broken threads and no fun at all. So as long as you have nice stiches I say you are not going to do any damage to your machine. I have had to re-time my old machine only after running over a pair of siccors. You realy will know right away if the timing is of. Hope this helps.

Hi good buddy Deb:

I've been eager to hear how your experiment with the size 12 needles was going...we have already tried sizes 16 and 14 with success. Just a question for you though :D Were you sewing with Invisafil because I think that Invisaline is braces :P Seriously, please continue to keep us posted. My George sews well with the 100 weight silk thread (YLI) but I've been using the size 14 needles. Would love to drop down to the 12 if it does not require re-timing. Happy quilting, my friend.

Nancy in Tucson

Hey Nancy -- LOL... I didn't even realize I was calling it the wrong name. For some reason it's stuck in my head as Invisiline instead of Invisfill. Any way, I'll give the silk a test today and am glad to hear I won't cause any damage to George. Btw, I recently did a quilt with bottom line in top and bottom and a size 14 and it quilted beautifully. If you like the thinner threads, this one is worth a try.

Hi Lynnie:

And other George owners too...if you want to try a smaller needle than the size 18 Singer industrial needles that come with George, here is a resource for you. The Ed Raichert Sewing Machine Company in Phoenix sells industrial Schmetz needles that I've been very happy with. Whether you want smaller holes punched in your quilt or you are sewing with a finer thread like Invisafil, Bottom Line or 100 weight silk, this is your resource:

www.raichert.com/schmetz_quilting_needles_for_lon.htm Whew! Hope I typed that in right.

The needles for George are the second ones listed on the recommended by Sharon Schamber page...Schmetz with numbers including 134, 135x5 and DPx5. I have no idea what all those numbers mean but these are the ones compatible with George. They are offered in several sizes including 16, 14 and 12. You can purchase them in smaller packages (of 10 I think) or in packages of 100 at a pretty good price. Try them out and let us know what you think!

For Lynnie: the needles face in the same direction and have rounded tops like the Singers and unlike domestic needles which have a flat side where they insert. Best to all on the forum, Nancy in Tucson

I've also purchased from the retailer Nancy noted and received the needles within a few days of placing the order. I purchased the 12 and 14 size and believe they were about $30 per hundred. I tried the 12's yesterday with YLI silk and it worked beautifully.

Archived