help designing a quilt-themed tattoo?

Hello! I am the daughter of four generations of talented Appalachian quilters: My mom is an obsessive quilter who last year had one of her designs featured on the cover of McCall's quilting magazine, and my granny through my great-great-granny all made many beautiful and practical quilts. Though I've not yet caught the bug (just not enough hours in the day) my thirteen-year-old granddaughter has already shown some interest!

As part of my midlife crisis, and to balance the seriousness of working, working on my home, and raising my grandchildren, I want to get another tattoo. But what I want needs a special artist to design it: I want something that will incorporate a number of different classic Appalachian quilt patterns into what I hope will be a gorgeous tattoo, a beautiful blend of color and representational design that will serve as a tribute to my maternal ancestors and their quilting and my Appalachian heritage.

I have a local tattoo artist who has the skill to fill in details such as color and shading, but I'd rather find someone who is really familiar with quilting to create the overall design and basic artwork. I will of course pay for this!

If you know of an artist, quilt artists, or tattoo artist who might have the skills to do this, I'd love to get their contact information.

If you know of any existing artwork (print, tattoo, or quilted) that incorporates a free-flowing meld of different classic quilt patterns that I might use as an inspiration, I would appreciate pictures or links to where I can see them. I would not use original artwork without permission and payment if requested.

Thank you for any help you can give!

I found Karen's site and saw her tats - and are those dreadlocks?!? Way cool! I will contact her and see if this is something she might do.

When you mentioned that you have an art background, were you indicating that this is something you might consider doing?

I no longer live in Appalachia (I'm in Delaware) but my father is originally from the Parkersburg WV area, and my mom's family is originally from Lawrence county, Kentucky, though by the time they met as older teens they had both moved to the Appalachian diaspora of southern Ohio. I was raised in the military but still with a strong link to my Appalachian culture and heritage.

My parents were from Johnson County, KY and Mamaw was my quilting inspiration. Quilting seems to skip a generation in our family, my daughter doesn't like it, same for my sister and her daughters but her granddaughters just love it, so hopefully mine will too. Good luck with the tattoo and please post a pic when you do get it.

Archived